Monday, February 22, 2010

Feb 22

We had a great weekend!! Friday Kymberlee and I had dinner with Maria and then walked downtown...in the rain...and discovered that "this country does not breathe when it rains" hahha that was how Kymberlee described it, and it seriously is true!!! We had a great time though!!! After our long walk we went to a friend's house and watched a movie!
Saturday I went up to camp (where I worked this summer) to see everyone again and it was so wonderful! I was SO HAPPY to see everyone, and Julia and Ramon were there from Santiago as well, so it was great:) We hung out for a while and then I took Kymberlee to see the waterfalls, and we hung out there for the afternoon!
Sunday we went to church...I think my most favorite thing in this country!! i LOVE IT! It last about 2 and a half hours and everyone sings and dances...so fun! After church I went back up to camp and helped Roy lead the work team on a waterfall hike (LOVE the waterfalls) BUT halfway there it started to downpour, and got freeeeeezing, and then when we got back to camp, Tati's (who works at camp) husband drove me home on his moto, which was even more freezing in wet clothes! It was all worth it though to spend time up there, I think I am going to make that an every-weekend thing! When I got home we went to dinner with some friends and then our friend Daniel Ayra took us home on his TINY vespa (me, him and Kymberlee) and it was hilarious!! I was like hanging off the back and we got soaked going through all kinds of puddles, but it was quite the adventure!
Sad/crazy thing: My friend Daiana that I worked with in the kitchen this past summer lives in a house right next to camp in a makeshift house, and the mayor of Jarabacoa told her family that they would give them money to rebuild their house, so they tore it down, and they were given like 100 bricks (which obviously won't rebuild their house) and had to move in with their cousins. Thankfully, camp is going to make that a work team job this summer, but isn't that crazy?! That is how things work here and it is terrible!
Today at school our class had a pretty bad day, and one of the boys, Christian, had to stay after school to write sentences because he was disrespectful to the teacher. He would not write them so I tried to talk to him about how he feels and how to react about things, and I said "does your dad let you talk to him like that at home?" which SHOULD HAVE KNOWN is not a good thing to say here, and he replied with "i don't have a dad..." and I was just fighting tears and felt so bad! After that I kept talking to him about it...but lesson learned do NOT assume anyone has parents at home! I think we ended up having a good discussion in the end though, and even were able to weave in our Bible lesson about walking and loving like Jesus did!
So even though there are really sad situations and lots of hard days, I really feel like just being able to be an extra positive figure/friend/someone to respect is huge for these kids!
Tonight I am going to start helping with Young Life at Tati's house!!!!
Prayer requests: WHAT TO DO WITH MY LIFE!!!! Wisdom with how to deal with issues with the kids, and major patience with them!
Miss you and love you!!!
Dios te Bendiga!! (God bless)

No comments:

Post a Comment