Sunday, November 7, 2010

I was going to skip my blog this week because I felt like I had nothing to write...but turns out God has been teaching me things this week that I didn't even realize! Honestly, this week went by so fast because I was so busy/stressed/anxious about things that I don't even remember much of what I did. Anyways, this morning I skipped church (because we walk about a half hour to church, and since it has been raining all weekend due to the hurricane, that was not an option!) so I came across this sermon at Mars Hill that looked pretty good. The verses it focused on were Philippians 4:4-7 "Rejoice in the Lord always, I will say it again: REJOICE! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus."

First of all, these verses just so happened to be my class memory verse of this week. Second, I know I didn't rejoice a whole lot this week. I wrote this quote in my journal on Wednesday: "Sometimes we are afraid to reach out and live the life that we believe we have been called to. But fear is no friend. It may seem to protect, but it slowly suffocates."
The message was all about "Reasons to complain vs. Reasons to rejoice" Find ways to rejoice in everything, because rejoicing cultivates a heart of Hope! A rejoicing spirit says: "God you are good, God you are at work, God you are teaching me things, God you are revealing yourself, God I have REASON FOR JOY! God, I'M GONNA REJOICE!" You have to choose to be anxious in nothing! Phil 4:8 says to MEDITATE on all that is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, excellent, praiseworthy and admirable! You've got to stay sharp, clear, focused on Jesus, because when your not, that is when things start to go downhill!
I really liked this quote from the sermon" "If you believe God is good, act like it! If you believe God is sovereign, act like it! If you believe God works for the good of those who love Him, act like it! If you believe there is always something to rejoice in, act like it!!"

I really needed to be reminded that faith means leaning my whole weight on Jesus, knowing that "I can do EVERYTHING through Christ who gives me strength!" God proves His goodness, His power, His strength, even when I think I know it is not there!

The link to the sermon in case you want to check it out:)
http://www.marshillchurch.org/media/rebels-guide-to-joy/the-rebels-guide-to-joy-in-anxiety

No comments:

Post a Comment